Latest Beedeeping Notes for 2012

LSUAC4C72-80px[1] A Blog from the LSU AgCenter, Beauregard Parish, LA

Thursday Oct 4, 2012

As per my last entry in bee logbook, the top super was removed and harvested and not replaced on top of the two brood boxes, so Hebert Hive consist of two large brood boxes, a base, and inner cover and the top.  Today I removed the top and inner cover and examined 6 of the 10 frames inside the top brood box.  To my amazement I saw only one hive beetle, and manage to squash it,  there were approximately 25 in the upper super when I removed to harvest the honey inside and expected to see more now, but did not and that is good news.  I removed two frames starting at end and three from other end leaving the five in the center.  None of the five frames, from the sides (1 and 2 and 8, 9, 10) contained honey, just honey comb – bees were busy working on both sides of the frame and everything looked clean and ready for deposit of pollen, nectar, honey, or egg.  This surprised me as I thought there was honey on some of these outer frames will have to go back and look at my notes and photos to determine, but probably just my memory error.  I do remember that my plans were to take the frames from the super that had honey and exchange for the frames in the upper brood box that had no honey, so there would be additional honey for them for the winter.  But Richard suggested that I go ahead and remove and harvest the super and leave it off for the winter, so that’s what I did.  Now that the honey flow is slow and winter is approaching, I think I will start feeding sugar water (2 parts sugar and 1 part water) again for about a month to give additional food so they can fill the frames in the upper brood box that are empty. Any suggestions on this idea?  Took photos of the frames today, which are enclosed with this email message.  The hive seemed to be perturbed a lot today and I did not remove any frames from the bottom brood box – just looked down at them and the floor when frames were removed from the upper brood box for inspection.  They were hitting my head veil rather consistently and with a lot of force, but none managed to get into suit and sting me!  So other that lack of honey in the upper brood box, everything looked good as far as my experience tells me.    Later,    jec

DSCF1043

Happy bees in Mr. Jimmy’s bee box

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: